What is a Dhow Cruise and How Much Do They Cost?
Dubai, known for its ultra-modern architecture, is also a great place to go on a dhow cruise. Maybe you’ve heard of them and you are wondering what is Dhow cruise? In this article, I will provide you with all the information you need on the dhow cruise as well as some other attractions you might want to check out on your trip.
What is Dhow Cruise?
The Dhow is an Arabic sailboat. Historically, they were mainly used for shipping purposes in the Red Sea and Indian ocean. Today, updated versions also provide picturesque cruises on Dubai Creek and Dubai Marina.
Dubai is mostly known for its modern architecture. When you see Dubai for the first time, you feel like you’ve stepped off a time traveling machine into the future. What better way to view many of its sites than by taking a cruise of Dubai Creek.
The dhows are two floors. The lower deck offers air-conditioned seating, and on the upper deck, you can enjoy the open-air seating. The following video provides us with a great example of what the boat looks like on the outside, all lit up, and what to expect onboard.
There are two popular dhow cruises, one on the Dubai Creek, and the other from the Dubai Marina. The Dubai creek is more limited to where it can go and offers a more historical view of Dubai. Some of the sights you can expect to see are:
- Dubai National Bank
- Dubai Chamber of Commerce
- Sheikh Saeed’s house
- Sheikh Rashid’s birthplace
- Old Souq
- Heritage Village
If you choose the marina cruise, you will see more modern architecture and buildings such as:
- Jumeirah Beach Residences
- Villas of the Palm
- Atlantis Hotel
- Burj Al Arab Hotel
- Rolex Twin Towers
- Many bridges in the city
Dhow Cruise Pricing
Pricing for dhow cruises depends on which option you choose. Viator is a great website with pricing and detailed information on your many options.
Prices start at $22.00 USD per person for a dhow creek cruise. For this price, you can enjoy a 1-hour dhow morning tour which are scheduled to leave daily at 10:00AM and 12:00PM.
Dhow marina ticket pricing starts at $30.00 USD without transportation to the marina, or $40.00 with transportation from selected Dubai hotels. These are two-hour cruises that include refreshments, a buffet style dinner and live entertainment. These cruises board at 8:00PM, so it gives you the opportunity to see Dubai’s magnificent skyline at night.
These are just some of the packages available for dhow cruises. There are also options for packages that include full-day trips which goes to Telegraph Island where you can swim and snorkel and possibly see pods of dolphins along the way.
Other Attractions You Don’t Want to Miss in Dubai
Dubai is a must-see if given the opportunity. Situated in the United Arab Emirates, it is home to some impressive modern architecture. Although very beautiful, according to Wikipedia, it is also among the most expensive cities in the world. If you get the opportunity to visit, here are some of the things you shouldn’t miss:
- Dubai Mall: This is more than a shopping center, it’s an experience! Being the biggest shopping center in the world, it has over 1,200 stores. Other attractions that can be found in the mall are: a skating rink, a movie theatre, an aquarium, and the Dubai Fountain that was made by the designers of the Bellagio fountain.
- Burj Al Arab: This extremely luxurious hotel, situated on its own man-made island, is a sight to see with its modern curvy architecture. Although it is a hotel, you don’t have to stay there to visit, you can also go have a nice dinner in one of their many restaurants.
- Jumeirah Beach: This beach has been said to be one of the nicest public beaches in Dubai. Being very popular it is important to arrive early as it becomes quite crowded throughout the day. At the beach, you will also find a playground and areas for picnics and barbecues.
- Bastakiya Quarters: Within the tall buildings and modern architecture, you can find the city’s historic district. The old buildings in these quarters are now home to art galleries and coffee shops.
- Ski Dubai: If you know anything about Dubai, you know that it does not snow here. However, Dubai got around this issue by building a massive indoor winter wonderland. Here you will find 5 ski runs, including one black diamond, a snowboard park, an area for tobogganing, and even a spot to have a snowball fight.
Dubai is a very impressive place to visit, but also very expensive. If you want to see a lot of the attractions, but don’t want to pay to do it all you might want to consider a dhow cruise. I suggest scheduling it during the beginning of your trip, giving you the chance to see all the sights and decide which ones you want to explore further.