How Much Does a Long-Distance Move Cost?
When you are ready to move a long distance, there are a lot of different things that need to come together. One of these is how you will transport all of your items from one location to another. A quick search online shows that these moves can be a little expensive, but you may wonder what the exact cost will be.
The average cost of a long-distance move is $4,102. There are long-distance moves that cost more and some that cost less depending on many factors. The further you need to move from the original location to the new location, and the heavier the items are that you want to move, the higher the price will be.
Let’s take a closer look at the costs of a long-distance move to help you be prepared when it is time to move.
How Much with the Long-Distance Move Cost?
The exact cost that you will pay for one of these moves will depend on how far you go. If you are going more than 2000 miles, the cost is going to be higher than a move that is 500 miles. For a move of 400 miles, the cost will be somewhere between $850 and $5000 depending on the type of shipping you use and how many items you need to use. The average price for long distance moves will be around $4,102.
Most long distance moving companies will use two assessments to help them determine the cost; distance and weight. If you plan to move a lot of heavy furniture, then the estimate will be higher than moving some boxes. The further you plan to move, the higher the cost as well.
The Cost Per Home Size
The amount that you spend may depend on the size of the home you would like to move to as well. Generally the bigger the home you are moving to, the more it will cost because you need more shipping containers and the weight of all the items will be higher. Some average costs depending on how many rooms include:
- 1 bedroom is between $700 to $3000
- 2 bedrooms is between $2000 to $7000
- 3 or more bedrooms is between $4000 to $10,000
The distance will often add to this as well. If you are moving just a few states away, the cost is more likely to be on the lower end of these ranges. For moves that go cross country, you will be the one paying on the higher end of these averages.
The Method of Shipping
There are different methods of shipping that you can choose as well and these will influence the price that you will pay. Some of the most common methods of shipping to use include:
- Consolidated shipping: This works best for those with a flexible schedule. It will offer the most savings as well. Your items will be loaded up with 4 to 10 other customers and then delivered sometime between 6 to 10 days depending on where the items are going. This is a big window of time but is the least expensive option.
- Express Trips: These provide a smaller window and can be a great way to get your items a little bit faster. This works the best if the moving company has shuttles near your original location and the location where you are moving to.
- Direct service: If you need to meet a deadline or your items should be dropped off at a certain date, then you will need to use direct service. This is going to be the most expensive option but is the one that gives you exact answers for when your items will be at your home.
Other Costs to Consider
There are other costs that you need to consider as well which can add to the final price you pay to do your moving. If you need to have the items sit in storage for a bit before they get to the new location, this can cost extra. Some companies charge a shuttle fee to move the items to your home and many require you to pay for some kind of insurance on the items in case things get damaged or stolen. When you receive a quote, you should also look at the gas and mileage charge to see how much this will cost you.
Getting Ready for Your Move
There are a lot of variables that will determine the cost of your long-distance move. It is a good idea to call several companies to see what kinds of deals they offer and to compare prices. You may be surprised at how many options are out there for you to work with and that there is such a variance in the price. With a little planning and looking for the best deals, you will be able to make your long-distance move as affordable as possible.