How to Insulate a Garage Door
Have you been thinking about insulating your garage door? Insulating a garage door can be a great idea. This is an easy upgrade to make. Before you start, it’s important to know how to insulate a garage door. You should know the benefits of insulating a garage door and how much it costs.
What is an Insulated Garage Door?
Insulated garage doors are garage doors with two layers of steel. Between these layers is insulation. This creates more energy efficiency. If you live in a very hot or very cold climate, an insulated garage door is a good idea.
According to House Logic, amany different insulation types are effective. You can choose the one that is easiest to find or most affordable.
- Batt insulation is made of fiberglass and backed by paper or foil.
- Foam boards are sturdy panels made from polystyrene.
- Reflective insulation is a combination of cardboard and polyethylene. Then reflective aluminum foil is added.
How to Insulate a Garage Door
You need to insulate a garage door correctly. If not, you will not get the benefits of insulating your garage door. Plus, you could run into some issues.
- Double-sided adhesive tape
- Retainer and retention clips
- Tape measure
Here are the steps you need to follow to insulate a garage door:
- Buy the insulation and other supplies. Insulation can be found at home improvement stores.
- Make two marks on each panel. These should be 12 inches from either side.
- Cover the marks with double-sided tape.
- Attach retainer clips to each piece of double-sided tape.
- Measure each panel. It is important to measure each one due to possible size variations.
- Cut the insulation according to your measurements. Cut 1 to 2 inches longer than you measured.
- Tuck the insulation into the panels. Make sure the vinyl is on the outside.
- Create slits in the insulation to attach the retention clips.
Which Doors Can Be Insulated?
Nearly any garage door can be insulated. The type of material does not have an impact on this upgrade.
Specific insulation should be used for some types of garage doors. Wooden garage doors need sturdier insulation. Foam board is a good idea for wooden garage doors. If you have metal garage doors, you can use any type of insulation.
How Much Does It Cost to Insulate a Garage Door?
The price can vary. You will need to buy the materials. Based on the size of the garage door, you may need more or fewer supplies. According to Family Handyman, the whole project can cost less than $200.
You can buy the supplies individually at a home improvement store. Some stores also sell kits that give you everything you need. These kits often make the job go more smoothly and quickly. What you choose to use can have an effect on the price.
Benefits of Insulating a Garage Door
Insulating your garage door comes with many benefits. This is the main reason that people choose to insulate their garage doors. These are the advantages of insulating a garage door:
- Insulation saves energy. Garages are built differently than the rest of the parts of your home. There are fewer restrictions, which means more gaps are allowed. This causes energy to escape more easily.
- Insulation protects your cars. When the weather gets too cold, your car may be affected in several ways. This includes issues like short battery life or spark plug problems. You may also have low pressure in your tires.
- Insulation provides more durability. Most garage doors are single-layer. These are not very durable. When you insulate your garage door, you are adding an extra layer of durability.
- Insulation can dampen the noise. This should not be your only reason for insulating your garage door. It is an added benefit though. The insulation helps to quiet your garage door as it opens and closes.
When you insulate your garage door, you will get all these great advantages. For many homeowners, all these benefits make the upgrade worth it.
Other Ways to Insulate Your Garage Door
According to Bob Vila, there are other ways to provide insulation. You should make these changes with the door insulation. This will give you the greatest benefits. Here are a couple of ideas:
- Replace the rubber sweep
- Add weather stripping around the garage door
Insulating your entire garage is a larger project. It can be beneficial to prevent more heat from escaping. Insulating a garage door is a good starting point.
If you’re ready to insulate a garage door, be sure to do it properly. This is a simple upgrade to make to your home. It is something that many homeowners do on their own. It will add value to your home as well. It also gives you several useful advantages. For most homeowners, this upgrade is worth the time and money.